​U.S. organic sales hit $52.5 billion mark in 2018

​U.S. organic sales hit $52.5 billion mark in 2018

U.S. organic sales hit $52.5 billion mark in 2018

The U.S organic market in 2018 broke through the $50 billion mark, with sales hitting a record $52.5 billion, up 6.3 percent from the previous year, according to the Organic Trade Association’s 2019 Organic Industry Survey. Both organic food and non-food markets reached new levels. Organic food sales totaled $47.9 billion, for an increase of 5.9 percent. Meanwhile, U.S. sales of organic non-food products jumped by 10.6 percent, to $4.6 billion. The growth rates for organic continued to easily outpace the general market, with total food sales edging up just 2.3 percent and total non-food sales rising only 3.7 percent. Almost 6 percent (5.7 percent) of the food sold in this country is now organic, and today’s consumers can find organic products in every aisle of their grocery stores.