USDA Seeks Four Nominees for National Organic Standards Board
BY USDA NOP | Apr 06, 2021
USDA Seeks Four Nominees for
National Organic Standards Board
Deadline for Nominations: June 1, 2021
The National Organic Standards Board (NOSB), a 15-member volunteer advisory board appointed by the Secretary of Agriculture, considers public comments and makes recommendations on the National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances; and other topics involved in organic agriculture. Congress designed the Board to make sure that a broad range of industry perspectives are represented.
USDA seeks nominations of qualified individuals for four open seats on the NOSB. Each member serves a five-year term and represents specific sectors of the organic community. Current openings for positions beginning January 2022 include:
- One individual who owns or operates an organic farming operation or an employee of such individual.
- One individual with expertise in areas of environmental protection and resource conservation.
- One individual who represents public interest or consumer interest groups.
- One individual with expertise in the fields of toxicology, ecology, or biochemistry.
Working to include voices from historically underserved communities involved in organic agriculture is important to the USDA Agricultural Marketing Service and National Organic Program. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented individuals, organizations, and businesses to reflect the diversity of this industry. This includes qualified individuals regardless of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Qualified candidates may also apply to be considered for future unexpected vacancies in any of the seven categories representing the scope of the organic community.
How to Apply
Written applications must include:
- AD-755 application form
- Name of the position to which you are applying
Applications may also include:
- Cover letter (optional)
- Letters of reference (optional)
Electronic submissions are preferred and should be emailed to Michelle.Arsenault@usda.gov.
- Federal Register Notice
- NOSB Recommendation on Criteria for NOSB Membership (pdf)
- About the NOSB - Current Members, Activities, Resources